Oct 21, 2007

Remarkable Impact of Cell Phones In Kenya

I am intrigued by the impact and enabling capacity of the cell phone in Kenya. We girls laugh at Steven when we are at the table or trying to engage him in conversation because he carries two cell phones and sometimes three. At breakfast today, he handled three business calls within about 2 minutes. Here is a 16 minute video of a talk by Nokia researcher Jan Chipchase. He investigates the ways we interact with technology including the ways illiterate people use their mobile phones. It was recorded March 2007 in Monterey, California. If you haven't discovered TED.com yet, you should! Incidentally, I carry two cell phones. It turns out my AT&T Razr works over here. I just don't know what sort of roaming charge AT&T would hit me with if I started making calls on it. But I have sent a text message back to Oklahoma with it. :-)

No comments: